Cape Receife Return Effluent Scheme
The Cape Recife Waste Water Treatment Works (WWTW) had for years been supplying treated effluent to consumers for irrigation purposes. The treatment works had an existing return effluent (RE) scheme that services Nelson Mandela University (NMU), Humewood Golf Course and Pine Lodge Resort.
Africoast Consulting Engineers was appointed by the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM) to undertake project management duties, design, contract administration and site monitoring of the Cape Recife RE Scheme upgrades. The project consisted of the construction of an approximate 6.8km uPVC of Class 16 pipeline of diameters 315mm, 250mm and 200mm, and 55 chambers consisting of the following.
The return effluent route that would have to traverse through Nelson Mandela University utilizing the existing Municipal servitude, which is 10m wide and contains the existing scheme’s AC pipe, as well as two bulk sewerage pipes.
Africoast Consulting Engineers appointed Surplan Surveying & Engineering Services (Surveying) and CA du Toit Eastern Cape (Pty) Ltd Electrical & Mechanical Consulting Engineers (Mechanical and Electrical) as sub-consultants in pursuing the planning and design tasks to achieve the requirements set out by the NMBM. Documentation from / by these sub-consultants is used in this Report where appropriate.
The Cape Recife RE Scheme is providing treated effluent to five (5) users for the purposes of irrigation, namely Nelson Mandela University, Humewood Golf Course, Pine Lodge Resort, Pearson High School and Municipal Parks Division for the use of irrigation of the parks along Marine Drive.
The project consists of the construction of an approximate 6.8km uPVC of Class 16 pipeline of diameters 315mm, 250mm and 200mm, and 55 chambers consisting of the following.
The return effluent route that will traverse through NMU will utilize the existing Municipal servitude, which is 10m wide and contains the existing scheme’s AC pipe, as well as two bulk sewerage pipes. The existing AC pipe will remain and the new proposed pipe will run alongside it.
The services undertaken by Africoast Consulting Engineers are:
- Hydraulic design of bulk supply, including offtakes, to the 5 users.
- Design of the pipe works, alignment and components in line with the hydraulic design.
- Design of the pump station buildings and storage reservoirs
- The sizing of the Storage tanks at Cape Recife WWTW and Beacon.
- Drafting of BoQ and tender document
- Tender adjudication and project administration
- Supervision of construction
- CA du Toit Eastern Cape (Pty) Ltd Electrical & Mechanical Consulting Engineers was appointed by Africoast Consulting Engineers for the responsibility of the communication, electrical and mechanical component of the project.
- Surplan Surveying & Engineering Services (Surveying) was appointed as Africoast Consulting Engineer’s surveying sub-consultant and is responsible for all cadastral, trigonometrical and engineering surveys.
- Quality Assurance